We have put together a comprehensive wedding planning checklist to tick off as you edge closer and closer towards your wedding day. For all the information you need to plan your perfect wedding, download our free Wedding Planning checklist here.
Here is what you should be doing 16 to 9 Months Before your Wedding Day:
Wedding Planning Checklist
1. Start a wedding file or folder – This is a great idea to help with your wedding planning. You can add any pictures, business cards or brochures to it so that all your information is in one place.
2. Browse for ideas – Browse through fashion, bridal, wedding and lifestyle magazines for inspiration. Pinterest and The Pretty Blog are also great resources to use online.
3. Work out your budget – The budget is one of the most important aspects to begin your planning with. You will then know what areas you can splash out on (or not). Sticking to your budget is also important so make sure that you and your fiancé completely agree on the budget.
4. Pick your wedding party including bridesmaids and groomsmen – This exciting part is where you choose the people most important to you to stand beside you whilst you say “I Do”. It’s an honour and a privilege so make sure that you choose the right people who will appreciate the gesture.
5. Start the guest list – Even though you haven’t even chosen a venue yet, it’s important to get a rough figure of who may come so that you know which venues will be appropriate. If your family alone makes up 100 people then it’s safe to say there will be at least 150 people at your wedding.
6. Database – Make a database to use throughout your planning process, with the names of all the guests you would like to invite. This can even be used after your wedding for thank you notes etc. Make columns for contact info, RSVPs, gifts, and any other relevant information you would like to capture.
7. Hire a wedding planner, if you need one. Remember however that many wedding venues have a wedding planner available to assist you.
8. Reserve your date and venues – One of the most exciting parts of a wedding is choosing your venue. Read our article, How to Choose the Perfect Wedding Venue here for ideas as well as 6 Questions to ask your Wedding Venue. Choosing a wedding venue is a huge decision. Not only as it will use up most of your budget but it will also be the place where you create these special wedding memories. The wedding venue you choose needs to give you a warm fuzzy feeling and really make you excited about your day. Choose 5 wedding venues that are within your budget, area and capacity and make a day of viewing them. You should be able to narrow your choice down to at least two wedding venues. After that go with your gut. Make sure however that your partner and you agree on the wedding venue before paying the deposit.
9. Locations – Decide whether to have separate locations for the ceremony and the reception, factoring in travel time between the two places – The choice of your venue in point 8 above will influence this decision so plan accordingly.
10. Book your marriage official – Whether you’re getting married in a church or through a non-denomination official, it’s important to book them early, especially if you’re planning to get married in summer.
11. Research photographers, DJ’s, florists, and caterers – Speak to friends who have recently been married or get ideas from your wedding venue. If you’re planning your wedding in the Vaal area, read here for a great list of suppliers.
12. Throw an engagement party, if you wish – Some couples prefer not to throw an engagement party whilst others enjoy celebrating their union as soon as possible. Bear in mind that those you invite to your engagement party must be invited to your wedding.
For a wedding planning checklist that you can print and tick off, click here.
Planning on getting married in Parys? Have a read through our Top 5 wedding venues in Parys.
The Nutcracker Country Wedding Venue in Parys is an exquisite tranquil weekend wedding venue situated on the banks of the Vaal River, 90 minutes from Johannesburg. Offering all that is needed for the perfect wedding, The Nutcracker is for the exclusive use of the bride and groom and their guests for the entire weekend. Contact The Nutcracker today for rates and availability.